Brussels, 29 April 2009 – The objective of this study is to support the European Parliamentâ€™s ITRE Committee in its work on the EU’s industrial and energy policy and to give advice on the following issues:
- Why is the issue of resource scarcity back on the agenda?
- What are the strategic conclusions for the EU?
- What can the EU expect from eco-innovation in a large range of industrial sectors?
- Are existing measures meeting the EU aims and expectations, and what new policy initiatives should be set forward?
To meet these objectives, this study is structured as follows:
- Chapter 2 will give an overview on resource scarcities.
- Chapter 3 elaborates on ecoinnovation, including trends, barriers and driving forces.
- Chapter 4 outlines proposals for future EU policies.
- Chapter 5 sketches out a possible vision for the future.