Horizon 2020 earmarks 10.5% for energy

Brussels, 2 July – The European Parliament and Council of the EU have decided that 10.5% of the total Horizon 2020 budget (€70.2bn) is to be spent on energy research.

Brussels, 2 July – The European Parliament and Council of the EU have decided that 10.5% of the total Horizon 2020 budget (€70.2bn) is to be spent on energy research.

Of the €7.3bn promised, €2.1bn is earmarked for Euratom – the EU’s nuclear programme – with the remaining €5.2bn going to other research areas. Of this latter figure, 85% is reserved for non-fossil fuel activities, including renewable energies, end-use efficiency, energy storage and smart grids. The remaining 15% can be spent on efficiency improvements to gas at power plants and on projects to support fossil fuels.

Horizon 2020 will fund not only research, but also market uptake projects for renewable energy and energy efficiency products, taking  around15% of the total budget (from the 85% dedicated to non-fossil fuels).

Away from the energy sector, Nano-technologies, advanced materials and advanced manufacturing will receive 5% of the Horizon 2020 total, and bio-technologies will receive 0.67%.

Click here to read the statement from the Irish presidency.

Brussels, 25 June – The EU’s Joint Research Centre (JRC) has announced that half of the Covenant of Mayors’ 5,049…

Read Story

A recently launched European-funded research project aims to transform mainstream adoption of sustainable materials in building and construction - delivering…

Read Story

Luxembourg, 11 January – Eurostat, the European Union’s statistical office, have released the results of their Seventh Community Innovation Survey,…

Read Story
Arrow-up